Exhaust Manifold 200di

I fitted this in July but just realised I didn’t write it up then. As part of my experiment in running the vehicle without turbo it was necessary to fit an exhaust manifold using the ‘Glencoyne’ method.

The aim was to fit the only manifold I could get hold of (part number ERC9688) which is normally fitted to the 2.5 naturally aspirated engine. Not being designed for the 200tdi engine, the mounting holes are nowhere close to the studs, although the ports align correctly. With Richard’s brilliant web site of knowledge to draw upon I asked my friend Trevor if he’d got any suitable offcuts from which to make brackets and he kindly brought round various bits of angle in steel and thick aluminium from his factory’s ‘leftovers’ stock.

Shaping the manifold

It was necessary to shape the manifold to sit snugly on the head. As Richard describes, the way it sits within the inlet manifold, it is locked in place horizontally and vertically, the clamps only have to hold the assembly tight against the head. Great care was taken marking these adjustments, a little filing then checking the fit:

Modifications to the manifold

I had planned on using mild steel for the brackets but there was nothing chunky enough, so I selected a thick piece of aluminium that had a formed, round angle to one edge. Armed with roll-ups, hacksaw and the Black and Decker I spent a good while making up the brackets in the shed. I then filed away into the night, hoping that my neighbours wouldn’t realise it was me making the highly irritating noise. By the end of it I had built up the muscles in just the one arm and had a set of clamps.

Checking where to remove material

As the mounting holes fell on the curve (for just some of them) I then took off material (after the above photo was taken) so that the flanged nuts would sit flat on the clamps. I had to remove corners on some to ensure a snug fit and labelled each clamp as they are all very slightly different depending on their location:

Matching up brackets to their location

More checking. I haven’t been caught out by my photo that includes some thin cutting discs! I found my hand wasn’t steady enough to use the angle grinder accurately and I did indeed do it all with a hacksaw!

More checking

Next evening I fitted the manifold and although I won’t know if it will be successful for some time I think these brackets will prove sturdy enough to do the job:

Fitting the manifold

With the benefit of hindsight I wish I’d painted the manifold although I’ve never had much long-term success with paint durability on such a hot item. The ‘deluxe’ bonnet with its dish leaks slightly and already there are signs of rust. As spare time is limited I just want to get on so probably won’t dissemble it for now.

Thanks for reading.

 

2 thoughts on “Exhaust Manifold 200di

  1. Nice work. The clamps look like works of art. As for VHT paint, I did Annie’s manifold in silver 5 years ago. Most of it is still in place but there are rust patches all over it. It looked good for about a year.

    Like

    • Thanks Ian. It does seem a shame not to try preserving it, especially as it’s a rare clean and (almost) shiny part in the engine bay. I’m just frustrated at not getting very far this year, it’s SO close to being MOT-able again.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s