Air intake, K&N Filter

I had been looking out for a usable oil bath filter on Ebay and there are normally one or two available, but quite expensive for the amount of restoration required, plus the original chassis-fixings for the bracket are missing. I will maybe revisit this one day for a winter shed-type project but for now I…

Alternator move 2

After finding that the new alternator didn’t line up I shimmed the bracket out with 3 washers (trial, error and a straight edge) and got the pulleys to align. Finding somewhere to mount the adjuster bar was another problem. I looked at the redundant PAS pump bracket, intending to clean it up to sell on…

Alternator move

And some music stuff too – further down… I’ve not been happy with the alternator mounting method, on the end of the otherwise redundant PAS pump bracket. The drive belt is very long (I think that in its host vehicle the alternator is driven from the secondary pulley of the PAS pump), the angle of…

Oil filter housing, oil cooler bypass

As normally happens this time of the year I have been struggling with a long-term chest infection so the lovely weather of late has been largely wasted. I have gone outside for a while but end up having coughing fits and a tight chest. Today I have bought some hay fever tablets in the hope…

Sump cleanout

On draining the last of the oil after removing the turbo oil lines I noticed the presence of water in the sump. This wasn’t through running, thankfully, simply after standing for a while. On further investigation I found that water had got in through holes in the dish of the ‘deluxe’ bonnet and had run…

Exhaust Manifold 200di

I fitted this in July but just realised I didn’t write it up then. As part of my experiment in running the vehicle without turbo it was necessary to fit an exhaust manifold using the ‘Glencoyne’ method. The aim was to fit the only manifold I could get hold of (part number ERC9688) which is normally fitted to…

Starter motor clean up, new year gig

With easy access to the starter motor I quickly discovered the intermittent starting problems were almost certainly due to the loose connection to the positive input (combined with the poor crimp on the ‘switch’ terminal). It turned out the nut wasn’t even finger-tight and held in place with dried-on mud. It seemed a bit daft not to remove…