Instruments and panel refurbishment

I’ll start with a quote from a previous post: “…a couple of hours will have this looking reasonable again in my next session…” As I’d replaced quite a few wires that terminate behind the dash it was time to tidy them so I could screw it back into place before moving on to fitting the exhaust. As…

Electrical improvements – power Part Two

Continued from part one Improving the starter / solenoid wiring As mentioned before, the terminal on the starter was loose, rusty and caked in mud. As well as cleaning up I decided to move as much as I could to the relatively sumptuous surroundings of the seat-box, with the battery. Reminder of how it was:…

Starter motor clean up, new year gig

With easy access to the starter motor I quickly discovered the intermittent starting problems were almost certainly due to the loose connection to the positive input (combined with the poor crimp on the ‘switch’ terminal). It turned out the nut wasn’t even finger-tight and held in place with dried-on mud. It seemed a bit daft not to remove…

Electrics, dash, and plan of action

Last weekend the weather was fantastic, mild and dry but due to family commitments and catching up on a very busy but profitless week of work, at the most there would only be half a Sunday afternoon allotted to the Land Rover. Sunday afternoon came around and I thought I’d have enough time to quickly…

Steering wheel, indicator stalk, pub gig

Just a catch-up post for a wet Sunday afternoon…. Whilst fiddling around in the dashboard area a few days ago I was fitting the plastic shroud onto the top of the steering column assembly, with some difficulty. I had noticed that the indicators would cancel erratically and there was some resistance when flashing the headlights. On examination,…