Instruments and panel refurbishment

I’ll start with a quote from a previous post: “…a couple of hours will have this looking reasonable again in my next session…” As I’d replaced quite a few wires that terminate behind the dash it was time to tidy them so I could screw it back into place before moving on to fitting the exhaust. As…

Electrics, dash, and plan of action

Last weekend the weather was fantastic, mild and dry but due to family commitments and catching up on a very busy but profitless week of work, at the most there would only be half a Sunday afternoon allotted to the Land Rover. Sunday afternoon came around and I thought I’d have enough time to quickly…

Steering wheel, indicator stalk, pub gig

Just a catch-up post for a wet Sunday afternoon…. Whilst fiddling around in the dashboard area a few days ago I was fitting the plastic shroud onto the top of the steering column assembly, with some difficulty. I had noticed that the indicators would cancel erratically and there was some resistance when flashing the headlights. On examination,…

Lower Dash Part 4

A miserly post The evenings are now so short that there’s hardly time to assemble tools etc before it’s getting dark. This week the weather has been glorious as I work at my computer counting down the minutes to 5pm. Yesterday I did get outside for an hour or so, but got frustrated trying to…

Upper dash pt 4 (fitted)

The last of September’s weekends has been glorious, perfect weather for tinkering. Friday evening – remove windscreen wiper mechanism I had been trying to paint around the windscreen wiper gear, but in the end decided it would be silly not to remove it. I wasn’t happy with the partial paint coverage and secondly it seemed daft…

Painting the bulkhead behind the dash

Just a very short midweek bonus post to keep continuity and completeness with pictures, and to take a break from work which is driving me nuts this week for some reason… Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, to catch the last of the light I left off work at 5pm sharp (then started again at 8pm after…

Upper Dash Pt 3 and Yee-Hah Dep

Carrying on from last weekend’s preparation of the upper dash, it was time to overcome the man-flu and get outside in the lovely September sunshine to finish the upper dash panel. I had managed a couple of lunchtimes in the shed during the week to get this far. On the first I squirted some Polycell…

Vinegar Experiment, Upper Dash Pt 2

On removing the two parts of the upper dash and finding a thick layer of rust on the upright back panel I thought I’d try white vinegar to remove the rust as I’d read a few accounts about it. I normally grind, wire brush, file, sand etc and have tried various expensive rust removing gels…

Upper Dash Pt 1 – Removal

Removal of the upper dash revealed a fairly typical scenario for these vehicles. The main panel to which the demisters, vent levers and instrument binnacle are mounted has a thick but not terminal layer of rust. The upper ‘shelf’ section has deep cracks in the hard foam padding with corresponding splits in the vinyl covering.…