Alternator move 2

After finding that the new alternator didn’t line up I shimmed the bracket out with 3 washers (trial, error and a straight edge) and got the pulleys to align. Finding somewhere to mount the adjuster bar was another problem. I looked at the redundant PAS pump bracket, intending to clean it up to sell on…

Headlights, indicators, sidelights

Wanting to get the wiring complete on the off-side front I decided to tackle the headlights and fit the marker lights that I’d bought ages ago. I ordered two headlamp bowls from Paddocks as I could see these were rusted, and two three-way connectors from an eBay trader specialising in scooter parts. I removed the…

Electrical improvements – power Part Two

Continued from part one Improving the starter / solenoid wiring As mentioned before, the terminal on the starter was loose, rusty and caked in mud. As well as cleaning up I decided to move as much as I could to the relatively sumptuous surroundings of the seat-box, with the battery. Reminder of how it was:…

Starter motor clean up, new year gig

With easy access to the starter motor I quickly discovered the intermittent starting problems were almost certainly due to the loose connection to the positive input (combined with the poor crimp on the ‘switch’ terminal). It turned out the nut wasn’t even finger-tight and held in place with dried-on mud. It seemed a bit daft not to remove…

Britpart lights and Soul Traders dep

This week I had a dep on bass at Toftwood Social Club with Soul Traders a local soul, ska, disco band. I was a member of this band nearly 20 years ago and the people in it make it an absolute joy to be with on the few occasions their super-talented regular bass player Paul takes a holiday. They…