Lower Dash Part 4

A miserly post

The evenings are now so short that there’s hardly time to assemble tools etc before it’s getting dark. This week the weather has been glorious as I work at my computer counting down the minutes to 5pm.

Yesterday I did get outside for an hour or so, but got frustrated trying to line up the aperture of the plastic steering column shroud with the ignition switch. It seems that either the indicator stalk assembly needs moving, or else the steering lock assembly, I’ll have a closer look at this at the weekend.

This evening I thought I’d finish the lower dash assembly as it was getting scratched in the shed and is always in the way. Alas, I spent most of the time looking for two springs (346976) that I knew I’d bought some time ago. Eventually I found them and assembled the heater flaps and cable, then screwed the cover in place.

I added a piece of thin adhesive-backed foam to the actual flaps in a futile effort to create a better seal. The flaps don’t actually cover the apertures properly so at best, the foam will stop rattles and operating noise. The clamp that attaches the cable was completely rusted so I made up a replacement.

I couldn’t remember if there was anything sealing the thin metal cover, it seems ages ago that I stripped it down. I used a thin strip of foam to the mounting surfaces and screwed it down.

Flap with foam and home-made cable clamp

The sheet of foam I bought for the seat-box lids seems to go on forever.

Foam sealing strip, flaps and springs greased and in place

Foam sealing strip, flaps and springs greased and in place

I hope that clamp works! By this time (6.45 pm) the light was fading yet my cheap Moto G phone took a very reasonable photo

I hope the clamp works! By this time (6.45 pm) the light was fading yet my cheap Moto G phone took a very reasonable photo

Parcel Tray

Whoever gave it this name must have very small parcels. My parcel tray is misshapen and has been butchered in the past to accommodate a radio, it isn’t really usable. I had thought about repairing it, and may do one day if I find a suitable sheet of plastic and can straighten it with some heat. A replacement (395507) costs £30 and I don’t have much spare cash at the moment due to a lack of gigs. I am thinking of making something up with an off-cut of black carpet.

That’s it for today I’m afraid, all too soon it was too dark to work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s