Mudshield, bonnet rest strip

As mentioned a few weeks ago I had removed the remains of the mudshield from under the wing of the driver’s side. I had painted the replacement part and it had been hanging from a hook in the shed. As I banged my head on this sharp panel yet again I decided to fit it. This might allow my bald shiny head to heal a bit. I had noticed that the drummer hadn’t done his normal ‘polish the bass player’s head’ visual-joke for a couple of weeks. I guess he didn’t fancy touching it, what with being covered in scabs.

It was a lovely day for a late September Sunday and I knew this was a five minute job…

Roller-painted mudshield and steering box cover

I laid on the lawn, rolled over and dropped into the gulley and offered the panel up. I then noticed that although I’d repaired the inner wing to accept the fixing bolts I had completely overlooked the bracket inside the top of the outer wing. This had almost disappeared.

Galvanic missingness

So after an expletive or two I went to the shed and found an old sill from which I hastily snipped out a repair panel and pop-riveted it rather crudely in place. I bolted the panel in and fitted some thick rubber squares between it and the footwell to allow rainwater to get away.

Mudshield in place

Laying in this small gap between the lawn and the wheel is not pleasant so I was just glad to get out. If this panel is upside-down or inside-out I don’t care. The bolts are rather long as they are compressing the rubber. I will do a better job once I can move the vehicle again. The drive is too narrow to enjoy access to both sides.

Bonnet rest strip

I ordered a new strip to complete the front panel job a while back. When I removed it from its blue plastic bag today I could only laugh. It looked nothing like the manly canvas-coloured one pictured on the web site, and reminded me of sewing component in a PE bag that my mother made for me when I was 6 or 7. This in turn reminded me of the black plimsolls inside that bore the ‘Empire Made’ rubber diamond label on the sole. That was as ‘designer’ as it got in those days. This reminded me of how crap I was at PE. Funny how my head works now, remembering useless moments from 50 years ago. Maybe it’s caused by the repeated blows of panels hanging in the shed?

Bonnet rest strip, seriously?

So I decided to use a length of sealing rubber that had been intended for the windscreen. I fixed this in place with some rubbery-plastic push-in rivets and contact adhesive. When I get to the windscreen I will doubtless be looking everywhere for this seal.

Improvised bonnet rest strip

This seems to work OK and may even quieten rattles. The increased thickness meant that the striker didn’t engage in the catch so I set about adjusting the striker depth. Someone had obviously had problems here before as it was shimmed out with many washers:

Why all the washers?

I removed these and after soaking with Plus Gas I was able to adjust the depth of the striker so that the bonnet (or what’s left of it) closes perfectly.

Adjusts OK now

There was then a lengthy interlude for dinner, a trip to B&Q and some gardening jobs, but I did return early evening to start on rewiring the front of the vehicle. I will write that up in a day or two. In spite of not getting much done, it was a lovely day to get some fresh air and catch up with passing neighbours.

Thanks for reading my meagre post!

 

2 thoughts on “Mudshield, bonnet rest strip

  1. Last Sunday was a lovely day for lying on the lawn Nige – but I am impressed that you pressed on with the Landy fixes rather than dozing off 🙂

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s