On cleaning up the inner wings I noticed that on the driver’s side, where it bolts to the mudshield, the aluminium had corroded well beyond the size of any penny washer.
So I cut out a couple of shapes and pop-riveted them in place:
Another rub down and a coat of etch primer. Also, after treating with rust converter, I primed all steering linkages and front axle casing:
I knew the mudshield and steering box cover were bad, but I did chuckle when I removed them:
I had bought replacements ages ago so not a problem.
The footwell was a little worse than I had thought, although this ‘agricultural’ but sturdy repair panel is still fairly thick. It is tempting to start worrying about this now but it there are probably a couple of years left in these footwells and I have to draw the line somewhere, else it will escalate into another massive project. Who knows, I may become rich and get a galvanised bulkhead one day…
So a good wire brushing and treated with ‘Fertan’:
Then a couple of thick coats of No 1 Rust Treatment:
It’s not easy getting access here as the vehicle is parked very close to a raised lawn. I have to lay on the lawn, then roll into the gap. Getting up is another matter, fingers crossed my lovely neighbour doesn’t witness my old-man grunts and groans.
Then a few passes of the roller 🙂 in Marine Blue:
I’ve had these for a while, months, maybe two years. Although galvanised I will paint them for additional protection and before fitting them I will make up some spacers to go between them and the footwell to allow water to get away:
I had stored these in the lounge, along with other new items.
Yes, I am still single 🙂
Thanks for reading…
That roller is making wonders!
Can you post some pics of that particular roller? I wonder if I follow that same path or not…
And which paint brand are you using?
Ha, well it will never be brilliant but it’s acceptable for me, on an old Land Rover. It wouldn’t really suit any other vehicle.
When I had a garage I would spray, but it’s not feasible or sociable to do that outside, in a small driveway, with close neighbours and their pristine cars within a few feet!
On the inside and in the engine bay I am using satin finish which is far more forgiving than gloss, although I will use gloss on the outside as it’s easier to wash. The paint is used straight out of the tin (not thinned) and it all comes from https://www.paintman.co.uk. If you want satin, give them a call, they are very helpful.
I have found their black brush/roll-on etch primer to be particularly good where rattle cans wouldn’t be apt.
A link to the rollers I’ve tried that work best for me: https://www.trade1st.co.uk/concave-superfine-foam-mini-roller-120mm I use these with a normal 4 inch handle that they also sell. I have had other foam rollers from them which are great too but these particular ones seem to have a finer foam so generate less bubbles in the paint. Also, because the painting edge protrudes beyond the spindle it’s easier to get into internal angles.
I’ve found that it’s best to just get it on as quickly as possible, not too thick and blending new edges as you lay them on, but not fussing around too much as it goes tacky very quickly.
Hope this helps, good luck with your project and thanks for your interest!
Given my Landy condition, that sort of look is beyond awesome…
Thanks for the long reply! VERY useful!