Seat box repairs – before

I have fitted the end panels, the length of angle that holds it to the rear tub, and a shiny new under-seat battery box in aluminium.  These were all purchased from YRM Metal Solutions and I am really very pleased with the quality of everything, and the accuracy of the panels.

The most difficult part really was marking and drilling the holes in the angle. These are critical to get everything lined up properly. The new item is very slightly different from the old (much stronger) having a sharper angle, extruded rather than formed, and the old item was so badly corroded it wasn’t possible to use it as a template for all of the holes so some careful measuring was called for.

Seat box angle before

Seat box angle before

New angle section, drilled and etch primed

New angle section, drilled and etch primed. Also a display of petunias…

End panels

End panel - before

End panel – before

The aluminium end panels were badly corroded. It doesn’t look nice, isn’t weatherproof, and as it’s adjacent to the seatbelt mount I wonder if it could be considered an MOT item? This side was much worse, partly due I think to a collection of very old coins that had become jammed between the seatbelt mounting gusset and the aluminium causing a galvanic action. The hardest part was removing the bolts holding this bracket in place, I had to resort to grinding them off.

Removing the end panels after that is easy, just a case of drilling out the spot welds, leaving this:

Off with the old side panel

Off with the old side panel

The trouble with that is that the factory spot welds aren’t particularly well-spaced or even in a straight line. So, replacing them with rivets, being that much more visible, would look rather untidy. Being slightly OCD I wouldn’t be able to live with that so I toyed with the idea of drilling new holes and filling the old.

At this point, I thought it would be easier to work in the back garden so out came the seat box, floor and gearbox tunnel, and another small job became a major undertaking.

I had removed the rotten noise / thermal insulation material from the bulkhead, leaving a film of sticky adhesive and surface rust to scrape and sand.

Sticky, rusty bulkhead

Here you can just make out the mess of the bulkhead (I had started cleaning it before the photo was taken), and a very greasy transmission. The footwell has obviously been repaired and although cosmetically it isn’t great, it’s sturdy and will last a couple of years.

Now with all the components off and in the back garden I can get on with things as and when time allows.

Gearbox tunnel components

Gearbox tunnel components, rust rubbed down, prior to treatment with ‘Granville rust treatment’

Reassembly up next!

 

 

2 thoughts on “Seat box repairs – before

  1. Nice to see how things are coming… this is what I’m afraid in mine… as soon as I start tinkering with it it will be a full disassembly / restoration 😦

    Like

    • Yes, and I was so determined that it wouldn’t happen this time, it has though. I guess they’re all the same once you start taking them to bits. I should have learned by now.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.