Bulkhead top, windscreen contd…

The heatwave continues and I managed to get in a few hours of Saturday. A busy week ahead, with rehearsals and two gigs at the end means that there’ll be no more progress for maybe ten days so progress so far…. Two coats of Red Oxide were applied to the upper bulkhead using a brush.…

Mudshields, footwells, inner wings

On cleaning up the inner wings I noticed that on the driver’s side, where it bolts to the mudshield, the aluminium had corroded well beyond the size of any penny washer. So I cut out a couple of shapes and pop-riveted them in place: Another rub down and a coat of etch primer. Also, after…

Painting the bulkhead behind the dash

Just a very short midweek bonus post to keep continuity and completeness with pictures, and to take a break from work which is driving me nuts this week for some reason… Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, to catch the last of the light I left off work at 5pm sharp (then started again at 8pm after…

Vinegar Experiment, Upper Dash Pt 2

On removing the two parts of the upper dash and finding a thick layer of rust on the upright back panel I thought I’d try white vinegar to remove the rust as I’d read a few accounts about it. I normally grind, wire brush, file, sand etc and have tried various expensive rust removing gels…

Upper Dash Pt 1 – Removal

Removal of the upper dash revealed a fairly typical scenario for these vehicles. The main panel to which the demisters, vent levers and instrument binnacle are mounted has a thick but not terminal layer of rust. The upper ‘shelf’ section has deep cracks in the hard foam padding with corresponding splits in the vinyl covering.…