Upper Dash Pt 3 and Yee-Hah Dep

Carrying on from last weekend’s preparation of the upper dash, it was time to overcome the man-flu and get outside in the lovely September sunshine to finish the upper dash panel. I had managed a couple of lunchtimes in the shed during the week to get this far. On the first I squirted some Polycell…

Vinegar Experiment, Upper Dash Pt 2

On removing the two parts of the upper dash and finding a thick layer of rust on the upright back panel I thought I’d try white vinegar to remove the rust as I’d read a few accounts about it. I normally grind, wire brush, file, sand etc and have tried various expensive rust removing gels…

Upper Dash Pt 1 – Removal

Removal of the upper dash revealed a fairly typical scenario for these vehicles. The main panel to which the demisters, vent levers and instrument binnacle are mounted has a thick but not terminal layer of rust. The upper ‘shelf’ section has deep cracks in the hard foam padding with corresponding splits in the vinyl covering.…

Upper dash, glam, nude dep

I had intended refitting the lower dash before getting to this stage so as to keep the vehicle as usable as possible but as the wiring needs tidying and there’s some surface rust on the bulkhead to treat I changed my mind and removed the upper dash (more on this in a later post). This assembly is…

Lower Dash Part 3

A weekend of excuses… Again, a frustrating lack of progress. Most of the weekend was lost to rehearsing for a stand-in gig on Saturday, this time playing lead guitar for Kenny and The Motives. I wasn’t very pleased with my performance to say the least, a touch of nerves made me feel as though I…

Lower Dash Part 2

Continued from part 1 Not much done this weekend due to feeling extremely groggy after another stand-in gig and waking up with the mother of all migraines (a medical condition, not a Greek MILF). Still, I managed to do a little patching of the lower dash section and wiper motor cover in the afternoon. The Granville…

Lower dash Part 1

I had planned to leave this job until next year in order to concentrate on more important things, but with a little tidying of the wiring in the cab I should still be able to use the vehicle, so as it had to come out to access the ignition switch it seemed silly to put…